Domestic Family Violence Centre
Domestic Violence is violence that happens in a family and includes any behaviors that harms you or your children or causes you to live in fear.
Violence can include:
- Physical abuse - hitting, pushing, punching, kicking etc - to you or your children.
- Psychological and emotional abuse - verbally threatening and abusing you, putting you down, constantly criticizing you, stalking and scaring you etc, and destroying your belongings.
- Sexual abuse - forcing you to have sex when you don't want to and afraid to say no.
- Social abuse/isolation - not letting you visit or telephone family or friends.
- Economic abuse - not letting you spend money on basic needs.
Do not blame yourself. You are not responsible for another person's violence.
HOW CAN DFVC HELP YOU?
DFVC can help families who live in the Palmerston and rural areas, who are escaping domestic and family violence.
We can provide support and referrals if you require:
- Safe crisis and medium term accommodation
- Information about, and assistance from, other agencies
- Legal and housing information and support
- Support and counseling for children
Our staff will help you work towards your goals. If you need help with a domestic violence issue phone the Police Domestic Violence Unit on 8999 0865 or phone us on 8932 9155. If you would prefer, come to our office which is on the Ground Floor, Goyder Building.
For more information, contact us at:
P: 8932 9155 (24/7)
F: 8932 9177
Download the brochure here.
Helpful Contact Numbers
- Police (24/7) 131 444
- Police Domestic Violence Unit 8999 0865
- LifeLine 13 11 14
- Mental Health Support (CATT Team) 1800 682 288
- Health Direct After Hours GP Access 1800 022 222
- Dawn House 08 8945 1388
- Darwin Aboriginal and Islander Women's Shelter 08 8945 2284
- Domestic Violence Legal Service 08 8999 7977
- NT Legal Aid 08 8999 3000
- Top End Women's Legal Service 08 8982 3000
- North Australian Aboriginal Justice Agency (NAAJA) 1800 898 251